Safety & IT in the bicycle industry
When speaking about the bicycle industry, one might think of the production of bicycles or how much money is made selling products that belong to that industry. Safety however, is a very important part of the bicycle industry as well and sometimes a bit forgotten, but it’s literally life-saving at times. In this article, we will look at the ways IT can improve our safety.
IT is crucial in bicycle industry
The role of information technology (IT) can’t be underestimated. In the world we live in now, we can’t possibly live without the functioning of IT. The role of the information technology has only grown over the years and with the rise of the e-bike industry, it has become a vital part of the bicycle industry as well.
Bicycle safety issues
There are several ways you can interpret the role of IT in the bicycle industry, but we will focus on the safety side of bicycles in traffic. If we look at the numbers of the past twenty years, something interesting pops up. In a research conducted in 2013 by Transportation Research Procedia, it was noted that more than 2,000 people were killed in fatal bicycle accidents in the European Union. This was 8% of the total amount, but the amount had decreased with 32% if you look at the numbers of that decade (2004-2013). Still, this amount of deaths is too high and the aim is to improve the safety of cyclists.
There are many solutions and innovations that help cyclists being safer:
- Think of a Light Lane Bike, a light that project the lane of the bike and is more visible in the dark.
- Another good example is a bicycle braking light. This light gets brighter when the cyclist hits the break - just like with cars - and warns other cyclists, pedestrians and other drivers.
- There’s also the technology of installing a camera at the back of your bicycle that records everything that is happening behind you. Those images are sent through to a display at the front of the bicycle, so you can see what’s happening behind you and assess the situation.
- Also think of putting LED lights in the ground so ensure more safety in the lanes.
- A countdown traffic light to urge cyclists to stop and also help get a better flow in traffic of bicycles.
In all of these solutions, IT plays a vital role in orchestrating more safety in traffic, and specifically in the traffic of bicycles. That’s why it’s important to put interest in the innovation of IT regarding the bicycle industry, because it can save your live or anyone else‘s in the future.
Of course this is only a small part of the spectrum, but nonetheless a quite valuable lesson. What role do you think ICT can play in the bicycle industry? We at Bicle would love to know!